Friday, August 9, 2013

Chris Thile: Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1



I have heard Bach played hundreds, maybe thousands of times. Grade school when teaching us what “classical music is” as we butchered “Mary Had a Little Lamb” on the recorder, college in music appreciation class, and of course, just everyday life at concerts or when I need something to listen to without lyrics to keep me calm. Chris Thile’s “Bach: Sonatas and Partitas Volume 1” is not just another listen to Bach. This is a masterpiece. This is important. This is really an incredible recording.


I honestly don’t know how to review this record. It’s a man and his mandolin, breathing exciting and new life into classical works. By any other avenue (or performer) this would be something likely swept under my radar, but anything Thile touches ends up being electrifying and phenomenally thrilling. I cannot say enough great things about him and the art that spills from him.

All I can say, is buy the download, buy the hardcopy CD (the album artwork is fantastic) and enjoy this. Chris is a once in a lifetime musician and performer and I am a firm believer in the fact that every lover of ANY type of music needs to know about him.


Dates and what not around what all members of the Punch Brothers are up to are here: http://www.punchbrothers.com/
 
You can buy the record from their page, iTunes, all of the good places! 

No comments:

Post a Comment